|The Andalite Chronicles|
His name is Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul.
An Andalite war-prince. The one who gave five young humans the ability to morph into any animal they touch. They are still out there, fighting an evil so powerful there isn't a moment that goes by when they can actually feel safe. Their story continues.
But this is how it all began...
The book takes place before and leading up to the events in Book #1: The Invasion. It is narrated by Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul, or, as he is later known, Prince Elfangor. It begins with him uploading his hirac delest into his starship's computer before facing Visser Three at the abandoned construction site. The rest of the book is then a flashback of Elfangor's personal history, beginning with him as an aristh, a warrior in training, and ending with him at the construction site.
Elfangor and his fellow aristh Arbron rescue two humans from the Skrit Na: a young girl named Loren and a young boy named Hedrick Chapman. Elfangor and Arbron are assigned to return them to Earth under the leadership of a disgraced War-Prince named Alloran-Semitur-Corrass. However, upon realizing the Skrit Na were in possession of the mythical Time Matrix, they were forced to go after it. Arbron became trapped as a Taxxon nothlit, and Elfangor becomes inadvertently responsible for Alloran's infestation. Eventually, Elfangor, Alloran and the Yeerk controlling him, as well as the humans fall into a black hole. They were forced to use the Time Matrix to escape, which takes them to a fragmented universe created from the memories of Elfangor, Loren, and the Yeerk (now Visser Thirty-Two). Elfangor and Loren were able to escape to Earth, where he morphs a human and stays in that form. He assumes the name Alan Fangor and marries Loren some time later, but just before she gave birth to Tobias, the Ellimist repairs Elfangor's "timeline" and returns him to his people. Elfangor went on to become a great Andalite hero, leading to the events of the first Animorphs book, where Visser Thirty-Two, (Esplin 9466) having somehow escaped the collapsing universe, has been promoted to Visser Three.
|Morpher||Morphs acquired||Morphs used|
|Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul||Taxxon||Djabala, Kafit bird, Taxxon, Human|
- This book and Megamorphs #1: The Andalite's Gift were the only books in the series which were published as separate parts in order to be released faster. The Andalite's Gift was released in 2 books, while The Andalite Chronicles was released in 3 books. Both were later compiled into one complete book later on. However, because of this (The Andalite's Gift), The Andalite Chronicles remains to be the only book in the series with 3 covers total.
- Originally the three parts of The Andalite Chronicles were names Elfangor's Journey, Alloran's Choice and An Alien Dies.
- This is the first book published in the series that does not have the word "Animorph" written in the story.
- In chapters 22 and 23, Elfangor finds a yellow 1970s Ford Mustang on board the Skrit Na ship next to the Time Matrix. Inside it is a cassette tape that has two Rolling Stones songs on it, which he listens to: "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "Honky Tonk Women". The car also has some bottles of Dr. Pepper ("bubbling brown water") which he opens and pours into a shallow pan and drinks while he drives.
- The flipbook animation on the pages features Elfangor's journey through space in an Andalite Fighter (possibly in Alloran's Jahar) chasing the Skirt Na, then orbiting a few planets (Taxxon Homeworld), and then flying into a black hole (possibly leading into the hybrid world created by the Time Matrix).
- This book was published at the same time as Book 13, and reading this book first will give you a better idea why the Ellimist takes a special interest in Tobias in Book 13.