Tobias, the other Animorphs, and Ax have seen things so bizarre that no sane person would believe their story. No one would believe that aliens have taken over the Earth, and are in the process of infesting as many humans as possible. No one could believe the battles and missions and losses these six kids have had to deal with. And it's not over yet.
Tobias has been captured by the same human-Controller that nearly tortured him to death once before. She claims that now she's a part of the Yeerk peace movement. That she just needs a favor. Tobias isn't sure what to believe, but he knows that if the Animorphs and Ax don't find him soon, what he believes won't matter anymore...
Plot SummaryEditTobias discovers a missing child who was hiking through the woods. He leads the boy's father to his son. Throughout the book Tobias deals with PTSD from the torture he endured at the hands of the sadistic sub-visser, Taylor. He continues to question his own strength and resolve.
Taylor, claiming she is now part of the Yeerks' Peace Movement, enlists Tobias to try and sabotage the Yeerk pool. All of the other Animorphs, except for Cassie, who declines on moral grounds, accompany him and Ax as they dig a tunnel to the pool. In order to dig a tunnel to the Yeerk pool, Tobias and Ax alternate turns in Taxxon morph, which has a nearly uncontrollable constant hunger. It is discovered that Taylor has been working for Visser Three, and sets off a gas explosion. Cassie is able to turn off the gas from its control station, injuring several humans in the process. She is once again distraught by the violence she has had to use to save her friends. Taylor is presumably killed in the explosion.
|Morpher||Morphs Acquired||Morphs Used|
|Jake||--||Siberian Tiger, Wolf, Peregrine Falcon|
|Rachel||--||Grizzly Bear, Tomcat (Fluffer McKitty), Bald Eagle|
|Marco||--||Silverback Gorilla, Wolf, Osprey|
|Tobias||Human (Taylor), Taxxon||Unspecified morph to repair damages, Human (Main), Human (Taylor), Andalite (Ax), Taxxon, Bat|
|Ax||Taxxon||Seagull, Human (Main), Great Horned Owl, Taxxon, Northern Harrier|
- The cover quote is, "Tobias is about to face his biggest fear...."
- The inside cover quote is, "Surprise, surprise...."
- This book was the first to feature a cross-gender human morph, when Tobias morphs Taylor. Although Tobias technically morphs from hawk to girl (as opposed to morphing from boy to girl), it is the first time in the series that any of the characters became a human member of the opposite sex.
- Tobias breaks the Animorphs sentient being rule here by acquiring and morphing Taylor, but we can hardly blame him for being cautious, as his last encounter with Taylor ended up with him being tortured and nearly killed.
- The Yeerks are Here! A messageboard that mirrors the topics that were being discussed in #16: The Warning. This website also sent out a viral video online to keep things up to date with the current time events and the ending of the book series.
- Taylor is believed to be killed.
- Taylor mentions to Tobias that the Yeerks' invasion of the Anati planet - supervision of which was given to Visser One in VISSER - is floundering.
- ANIBASE: This book featured a new Tobias cover model, a boy who was introduced on the cover of Megamorphs #4. Ursula Albano, the art director for Animorphs shared this story with us about the discovery of the new Tobias:"We couldn't find a kid in time for the shoot, so the photographer asked the agency to send over any old kid to stand in. Our artist, David Mattingly, would alter him digitally to fit the character. Well, a boy shows up kind of out of nowhere, skateboard in hand (he lives in the neighborhood) and a knit hat pulled down practically to his eyes. When he pulled his hat off, we knew we found the perfect Tobias. Tonya (the editor for Animorphs) and I just loved him. He was blonder than the first Tobias, but was perfect. He was Tobias. A happy accident from a desperate situation."
- As mentioned in The Warning, another website is presented in the book series here (www.earthisours.com) that the fans of the series have taken and turned it into something real, mimicking what these websites in this series are really supposed to be like. Here are a few others:
- Earthisours.com From #43, given by Taylor to the Animorphs to represent the Yeerk Peace Movement.
- The Sharing Website Take a look at the bottom of the page and see who created the website. The name Victor Trent comes from the human morph that Visser Three uses on the Animorphs TV show.
- InfestRight.com Takes place after #54, as an online Yeerk-Human host dating service.